After a long time a decided playing again the original Monkey Island. I played it with my PC with the ScummVM.
From the screenshots I constructed few of the cool background images used in the game:
For my new ideas I need more graphical material. Handily I can get those by playing the games in emulator. I started with the Super Mario World. I played it with snes9x emulator and took various screenshots.
From the screenshots I gathered these following background images. All these image wrap around so that they can be used for creating wider backgrounds like they are used in the game.
I wanted to make my own poster with retro gaming graphics. My initial idea was to try both commodore Bubble Bobble and Bruce Lee game graphics. I ended up playing both games and eventually decided to do only the BB poster.
The DOS version graphics and colors looked better so I took screenshots with DOSBox. The BB splash image was though taken from the Amiga version screenshot from Mobygames.
The poster was going to be printed in the default size 50x70cm. This leaved me an empty space that I filled with the story text from C64 game back cover. Here is the actual image used for printing the poster
The poster looks really nice except that with glass the black color behaves a bit as a mirror and thus looks grey in the picture.
I started to work on a Bubble Bobble poster and found out that most of the game characters have a name. A big bunch of additional information regarding bubble bobble can be found from the Bubble Bobble HQ.
From the C64 instructions I picked up the bw character drawings and colored them according the game screenshot colors. Now the cool BB characters are even cooler as I found out their names and have these nice drawed images in addition to the pixel sprites.
For playing the BB itself I recommend to use the PC version and to play it with DOSBox
As I’m having a row of Pokemon posts here is an easy pattern sheet for kids bead works. These sprites are from the Pokemon Elite 2000 site. They are selected from the Diamond/Perl Pokemon icon sprites.
After the previous work ended up successful I had to try out again with another pokemon to see if I really had learned something or was it luck. I selected the Rapidash pokemon as I like the sprite and now I had also more correct colors than previously when I did the Ponyta work.
The ironing was still difficult but maybe just slightly easier than previously. Except just a couple of beads the outcome is nice. So maybe I’ll try to make also a third bigger pokemon a bit later.
I finally got around buying more peg boards so that I can now do bigger Perler bead works. I was also determined to figure out how the ironing should be done correctly for a nice flat and good looking result. The sprite was taken again from the Pokemon Elite 2000 What comes to the colors I don’t have normal brown. So I decided to make the whole shell with dark brown.
The ironing was the hardest part still. I first started ironing it wrong and had to stop doing it. Then after testing and reading more info I waited for a better day and finished the work with a decent end result. I might post later separately about the ironing technique itself.
Here is the result. It’s attached to the wall with needle pins. It’s size is about 32cmx32cm.