Bruce Lee shopping bag

So this is my first Bruce Lee game art work. I used plastic pockets as template for stencils. From the previous posts game screenshot I copied the character positions and made a separate image using the sprites from the previous post. The result image was just resized larger for printing it in the correct size.

I made three stencils by putting the templates on top of the printed image and cutting out each color separately. After that I used the stencils on a plain white shopping bag and applied fabric paint colors one at the time with a small sponge. The only issues I had where about placing the stencils in the correct position and that the sponge is not the best solution. A silk screen would be a lot better. Now I used spray glue on the stencils for attaching them on the fabric.

Here is the end result

Bruce Lee game sprites

Finally I got back to retro gaming graphics. Already a long time I have wanted to do something with the Bruce Lee game that is one of my favorite Commodore 64 games. The game was released in 1984 for Atari and C64. If you can’t remember the game look it from the C64-wiki: Bruce Lee game info.

To start with I needed the sprites but I couldn’t find any decent ones. So I extracted them from the C64 version. I used the VICE emulator and game ROM from c64.com to play the game and take screenshots.

So here are the sprites. Note that it doesn’t include all sprites. For now I took just the ones I saw interesting for some use. I can extract the rest too if someone is enough interested to ask for them.

So the next posts will continue with the Bruce Lee theme. Let’s see what I can make out of these sprites.

Dollhouse wardrobe

Here is the wardrobe that I finally got painted. I made it for the Snow White who has two dresses. It’s so far the most complicated furniture in the dollhouse. On the top I started painting with free hand and realized that my painting skills are quite limited. So the doors I painted using a template.

My first dollhouse furniture

We found a nice dollhouse for small children in a second hand shop for a couple of euros. One of the second floor wooden support bars was broken but I could build a new one quite easily. Now I wanted to make furniture for it. I had some leftover wood peaces and started to think what I could make out of them.

The furniture had to be robust enough for 1-3 year old children so I decided to create simple designs for the furniture. Here is the end result for a sofa, sofa table, oven and a bed. The oven door even has a hinge so that it can be opened.



I have made also a wardrobe already but the paint is still not done. I’ll post that soon. After that I’ll switch back to retro gaming graphics. I guess Bruce Lee is the theme for the next coming projects.

Wooden airplanes

One summer with my kids we made wooden airplanes. These are a bit older but I want to put them here as I like wood works and the tradition of building toys for your own children. The designs where completely invented on the fly and no ruler was used when we designed and built these. The planes were completely painted by the kids.

Custom skateboard

My son wanted a skateboard so I decided to make my own design. I bought a blank skate deck which I painted white. Then I created a dragon image which I printed on paper in 1:1 scale. The dragon was cut out from the paper and attached to the skateboard with spray glue. The paint was done by spray painting the black. On the top side I made similarly a logo from the name initials. Here are the pictures.

Wheels are Toy Machine big cruisers 60mm 85a and trucks are from Destructo.

Actionman Skydiver

For a change I made something quite different. I found a skydiver Action man without the parachute in a flee market for 80 cents. From a broken stroller rain cover we made a new parachute an here is the end result. Note that the action man is about 30cm tall.

Super Mario wedding card

Continuing with the Super Mario World theme. I wanted to make my second cross stitching work. This time I decided to create my own design of Mario and Peach together for a wedding card. The design contains also a heart and the initial letters of the bride and groom. From the sprites I created one png containing the correct layout.

Using the image with kxstitch I created the following pattern. Wedding card pattern pdf

Here is the end result:

The stitching was made in a 14 count Aida fabric which was glued to a cardboard frame. On the other side the card contains a poem that I made and greetings for the newly wed. I’m pretty happy with the end result. The only thing I would change in the cross stitch is that Mario’s skin ended up just a bit too dark compared to the original sprite color. The cardboard frame was a bit challenging, maybe next time using a bit less glue would help. Hopefully the couple still liked it. 🙂 At least it’s personal and one of a kind.

Congratulations for the married couple!

Super Mario World patterns – part II

Here is the second half of the Super Mario World patterns. In the Mario, Luigi and Peach sprites I made changes because I wanted to have a smoother surface in some areas like in the faces. The second sheet contains just some miscellaneous sprites that I wanted to include in the set.

Super Mario mobile

Here is the first Super Mario mobile. It has five of the SMW power up items. The items are made from Perler beads. I used fishing-line to make the items to hang like a mobile. The hardest part was to iron the items nicely from both sides.

I have already an idea for a second mario mobile but I haven’t started it yet. It will include the piranha plant so I’ll post next the second part of the SMW patterns.