Archive for the ‘retro gaming’ Tag
After a long time a decided playing again the original Monkey Island. I played it with my PC with the ScummVM.
From the screenshots I constructed few of the cool background images used in the game:
For my new ideas I need more graphical material. Handily I can get those by playing the games in emulator. I started with the Super Mario World. I played it with snes9x emulator and took various screenshots.
From the screenshots I gathered these following background images. All these image wrap around so that they can be used for creating wider backgrounds like they are used in the game.
I wanted to make my own poster with retro gaming graphics. My initial idea was to try both commodore Bubble Bobble and Bruce Lee game graphics. I ended up playing both games and eventually decided to do only the BB poster.
The DOS version graphics and colors looked better so I took screenshots with DOSBox. The BB splash image was though taken from the Amiga version screenshot from Mobygames.
The poster was going to be printed in the default size 50x70cm. This leaved me an empty space that I filled with the story text from C64 game back cover. Here is the actual image used for printing the poster
The poster looks really nice except that with glass the black color behaves a bit as a mirror and thus looks grey in the picture.
I started to work on a Bubble Bobble poster and found out that most of the game characters have a name. A big bunch of additional information regarding bubble bobble can be found from the Bubble Bobble HQ.
From the C64 instructions I picked up the bw character drawings and colored them according the game screenshot colors. Now the cool BB characters are even cooler as I found out their names and have these nice drawed images in addition to the pixel sprites.
For playing the BB itself I recommend to use the PC version and to play it with DOSBox
So this is my first Bruce Lee game art work. I used plastic pockets as template for stencils. From the previous posts game screenshot I copied the character positions and made a separate image using the sprites from the previous post. The result image was just resized larger for printing it in the correct size.
I made three stencils by putting the templates on top of the printed image and cutting out each color separately. After that I used the stencils on a plain white shopping bag and applied fabric paint colors one at the time with a small sponge. The only issues I had where about placing the stencils in the correct position and that the sponge is not the best solution. A silk screen would be a lot better. Now I used spray glue on the stencils for attaching them on the fabric.
Finally I got back to retro gaming graphics. Already a long time I have wanted to do something with the Bruce Lee game that is one of my favorite Commodore 64 games. The game was released in 1984 for Atari and C64. If you can’t remember the game look it from the C64-wiki: Bruce Lee game info.
To start with I needed the sprites but I couldn’t find any decent ones. So I extracted them from the C64 version. I used the VICE emulator and game ROM from c64.com to play the game and take screenshots.
So here are the sprites. Note that it doesn’t include all sprites. For now I took just the ones I saw interesting for some use. I can extract the rest too if someone is enough interested to ask for them.
So the next posts will continue with the Bruce Lee theme. Let’s see what I can make out of these sprites.
Continuing with the Super Mario World theme. I wanted to make my second cross stitching work. This time I decided to create my own design of Mario and Peach together for a wedding card. The design contains also a heart and the initial letters of the bride and groom. From the sprites I created one png containing the correct layout.
Using the image with kxstitch I created the following pattern. Wedding card pattern pdf
The stitching was made in a 14 count Aida fabric which was glued to a cardboard frame. On the other side the card contains a poem that I made and greetings for the newly wed. I’m pretty happy with the end result. The only thing I would change in the cross stitch is that Mario’s skin ended up just a bit too dark compared to the original sprite color. The cardboard frame was a bit challenging, maybe next time using a bit less glue would help. Hopefully the couple still liked it. 🙂 At least it’s personal and one of a kind.
Congratulations for the married couple!
I have a Super Nintendo that I still use. My kids like a lot to play the Super Mario World game. So I’m posting several easy to print patterns from SMW. Here is the first half of the patterns. I’ll post the rest a bit later.